WARNING: A Christian, holiness, & biblical worldview.

11 April 2009

Easter Bunnies, Jelly Beans, & Salvation

I'll be the first to admit that I love Jelly Beans. A trait, I happened to have passed on to my son.

But while I could eat Jelly beans all day long, I must admit that I am troubled by the fascination of the church with Easter eggs, Easter Bunnies, and Jelly Beans around the most important celebration of the year: Easter.

We dress our kids up like little rabbits, give them an Easter basket full of jelly beans, Peeps, and rabbit shaped, hollowed out chocolate, and throw in a token 'abridged' version of the Easter story. (I've even seen a picture recently of a the tomb with the stone rolled away and a goofy looking rabbit peering out!?) As much as we try to convince ourselves that Easter is truly about the resurrection, I think we're going to have to admit we care a lot less about that and a whole lot more about "the hunt."

I think my opinion about encouraging children to believe in fairy tale characters was evidenced by a previous post, but why do we talk about the stupid rabbit? Why is it that we are so compelled to "enrich" (I use that last work sarcastically) the truth of the resurrection with bunnies and candy eggs?

The usual excuse is that little kids don't understand the crucifixion and ressurection of the Savior. Maybe that's because we've never taken the time to explain it to them. (Which also brings me to the place where I wonder how many parents actually explain God's plan of salvation and our response to grace to their children.)

You won't hear any talk about an Easter bunny around my house. But you will hear about a much more significant event: the resurrection of the Savior.

He is Risen! He is risen indeed!

No comments: