WARNING: A Christian, holiness, & biblical worldview.

20 September 2008

What does revival look like?

Maybe if I could actually answer that question I would not be posting on a blog, but publishing a best-selling book.

Back on March 1-5, 2008 we had a revival that was just that. It was revival, renewing, and refreshing. It was unbelievable. Our church is still feeling the positive effects of what happened in that particular series of services. Certainly there were some who, following the week of services, reverted back to the same sub-standard Christian life they had before, but as a whole the church took a leap forward in a intimacy with God. There are individuals in the community that still talk about that revival.

The church as a whole and individuals of the church have definitely faced difficult times since the beginning of March. Physical, financial, stress, temptation, trial, and more seemed to be magnified following what God had accomplished in the life of the Greensburg Church of the Nazarene.

Then we approached Green River Camp Meeting 2008. I must admit that my expectations where that we would have a series of service similar to those we had in March except that they would be more intense and far reaching in our church and community.

It did not happen that way.

Instead, the church went through a purification process. The evangelist came pretty near preaching a message like you would read in the New Testament (specifically a typical sermon by John the Baptist... Luke 3:7). Some of it was near scathing and at times I sat in bewilderment the faithful core was attacked for lukewarmness, spiritual callousness, apathy toward spiritual matters, or outright sinfulness.

I must admit that there were a few times that I was discouraged as well as completely confused spiritually as to what was going on. I remember praying during the week of camp meeting on a number of occasions in which I asked God to show me whether I need to stop the services, the evangelist, the worry, or my own doubts.

I stopped worrying.

I continued to test the spirits throughout the services and found that consistently there was an oppressive "spirit" about the service. Resistance seemed to reign.

The thing is, people were changed. Yes, some sinners were saved. Yes, there were a few Christians who were sanctified through and through. But the most dramatic changes have been observed following the revival. Individuals committing to being in the presence of the Lord. People I have never seen in church at a Wednesday night Bible study, save something special, have started to come. Couples, families, individuals, singles, etc. are starting to come every service.

There is an enthusiasm in the church from people have never been enthused to be in church before. I am hearing new people talk about what God is doing in their lives that I have never heard talk about such things before.


Real change.


As I continue to try to put together what exactly happened during camp meeting, I hope that I never miss what God is trying to do like I did that time.

What does revival look like? Emotion, feelings, hard decisions, sacrifices, & surrender.

Who knows what revival looks like; I just know what it looks like to see people moving forward spiritually.

2 comments:

Brett said...

I struggle a lot with the whole concept of revival. Something never does seem right when I go to them.

I never did understand any kind of Biblical mandate for revival (Pentecost is a weak connection, as it wasn't a "revival" as much as it was evangelism - Peter and company were speaking to the foreign Jews).

I'm all for Spiritual growth, and if it comes through a revival, then may all the glory be to God. Still, I always have questioned the method of revival. Any kind of spiritual high was always squashed the next fews weeks after by the complete return to normalcy and mundanity (and lukewarm Christianity [whatever that means]).

It seems like people want a life that is like the movies, which is full of excitement, emotion, adventure and in the midst of revival they get that (and they move based on that). Perhaps life is a lot more mundane than that, and those highs and lows should be left to the movies.

If we worship God with all of our heart, all of our mind, all of our strength and all of our soul, then we have to learn how to live with God on a day-to-day basis. When people are looking at their death (something I've heard brought up at a lot of revivals), they don't think about what life will be like tomorrow (or eight Thursdays from now).

A lot of the preaching I hear in revivals sounds like it's coming from pastors that have given in to a culture that says that Christianity is a worthless, archaic religion. They stand and say that Christianity IS useful, because it can save us from our terrible fear of death (but this is the only use).

I've never gotten that from your revival preaching. I did get that "worship" is a lifestyle of obedience, and that... well... we need to be obedient. You seem to stress that.

No one ever focuses on *why* we should be obedient (besides burning in Hell - was this even the core of the covenant with Abraham?), or what makes us different from the pagans, or what it meant for common Christians to be obedient in the time between Jesus and us.

Just some thoughts from a disenfranchised protestant with similar struggles (maybe? maybe not).

Jared Henry said...

I don't have time to write about all of your points, so let me address just four:

1) I think Scripture mandates revival. Revival/ renewal/ refreshing or whatever you want to call it must be a staple of the church/ the body of Christ.

Every major movement and reform of the church has been borne of revival. (I'll let you chew on that and maybe attack me for such a blatant statement.)

2) Revival does not negate the day to day walk with God. It compliments it.

Real revival is borne out of a day to day walk and results in a closer day to day walk with God.

3) Revival is a period of time when the church as a whole focuses on the most important thing possible: spiritual priorities.

The idea is that for that week, each evening they will forego ball games, their favorite television shows, normal weekly chores, homework, hobbies, and everything else to come to the house of God and focus on Him.

Every once in a while we need to remind ourselves of what is most important in life. Most of us (me included) get so caught up in the natural (not sinful, just physical) things that we grow luke warm or cold about spiritual priorities.

Revival is a reminder to the church of what is most important. It is sorely needed in our world today.

The trend in the church in America is a shift away from spiritual things. That is pathetic. Many churches have done away with every service except for Sunday morning. (Sunday night and Wednesday night we are too busy for the things of God.)

4) You said: "No one ever focuses on *why* we should be obedient."

Let me give you the *why* of obedience... Because God said so.

Sure, that sounds like a simplistic answer.

I would invite you to listen to the sermon that comes from this post...
http://jaredhenry.blogspot.com/2008/04/ten-shekels-and-shirt.html

I think I got saved because I was afraid of going to hell. Praise God! Do I still serve God out of a fear of Hell? No, now I serve Him out of a heart of Love.

Now the Law, is a pleasure to uphold. 1 John 5:3 (ESV) "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome."

The *why* of obedience comes down to a real acknowledgement of who God is. If not obedience, then at some level I believe that my judgement, actions, discernment, and decision making is superior to Gods.

Why be obedient? It may seem like a sarcastic answer (it is not), but I'd say because He IS God!

misc.) My prayer is for revival in our land. We need a mighty outpouring of the Holy Spirit. And, while there are many "false teachers/prophets" who claim to be the 'bringers of revival' and have defined revival their own way; I still believe God desires to do a great work in our midst that will supercede the day to day normal walk with God (again, I am not downplaying that).

Sorry for type-o's I hate to proofread my own stuff.